Following the innovative features of 3G mobile technology it is now the turn of the 4G technology where there are newer and more attractive features. 4G in simple words can be called as the fourth generation technology whose common name is International Mobile Telecommunications. Compared to the previous generation mobile technologies, it is faster, streaming, multimedia services on demand and also free web casting. A 4G enabled handset is similar to using your laptop but which is smaller in size.
History of 4G Technology
The first commercial mobile phone that was digitally encrypted was launched by one of the Finnish Companies in the year 1991 which made text messaging possible. A decade later there was a publication of the standards for the third generation technology for mobile phones by the International Telecommunication Union. This 3G facilitated a number of voice and data services with the data transfer rates of 200 kb per second. Following such innovations, there was more scope to embellish the standards for the mobile broadband access. As a result of these assessments and experimentation a Japanese company called NTT DoCoMo achieved a record download speed of 5 GB per second while on the move at 10kmph. Thus the 4G mobile technology was born, however the first commercial 4G enabled mobile phone was put on sale in June 2010 in the United States.
Features of 4G technology
Though the 4G technology is far beneficial than the 3G and 2G, the reach of this technology is still in progress. There are processes that are being developed for the security of using this technology as the data transfer schemes are on the rise. The objective of the technology is to surmount the malfunctioning of the transmission systems to provide a perfect and ceaseless internet usage. There are two major systems that use the 4G mobile technology in the Unites States.
The features of 4G as compared to the previous versions are more comfortable and easily accessible.
- They are faster than the 3G networks which have a maximum download speed of 1 Mbps under the best conditions of the network.
- There is purity in the data network. While there is a separate handling in the voice and data in the 3G technology, the 4G has brought a welcome change where the data networks transfers Internet Protocol data packets which allows more bandwidth and a more passing of data.
- With the previous version having a technology range of about 10 miles at the most favorable conditions, the 4G has upto 31 miles under the best conditions.
- One of the most advantageous features of the 4g mobile technology is the speed at which it offers service. It offers a maximum download speed of 100 MB per second in mobile phones too. With this speed there is also possibility of getting to know about the streaming video problems, streaming video software, free webcasting services just as you do with the internet connection in your laptop.
- The bandwidth of the channel is between 5 and 20 MHz with options of extending it upto 40 MHz.
- The spectral efficiency of the system being 3 bit/s/Hz/cell and 2.25 bit/s/Hz/cell in the downlink and for indoor usage respectively.
- The connectivity that is provides is flawless and there is a global roaming across multiple networks where free webcasting can also be done.